Hi, I am Anay Bhide, a mechanical engineer. I spend most of my time working and studying. I love traveling as it always gives me a break and refreshes my body and mind. I wish to share a few tips with my buddies who have decided to go for the GATE exams. After a thorough analysis, I have arrived at few aspects that can actually make your exam preparations more scheduled, focused and interesting. Though I sail in the same boat like you all, preparing for the exam, following these tips have become useful for me.
GATE is important for all the engineers who desire to attain a Master’s degree and plan to work in the Public Sector. Here are a few tips that may help you:
Choose Your Favorite Topic
- Be sure of what actually you want to do and decide on the appropriate subject. You have a choice between 22 subjects, so analyze as to what your focus is all about.
- The subject you choose must have enough scope for future ventures and must definitely suit your ability and interest.
Type of Questions
- As all of you are aware, types of questions are objective under various sections – general aptitude and those, which require numerical answers. As negative marks are allotted for incorrect multiple choice questions, you should read and thoroughly prepare to have good scores.
- The exam will have 65 questions covering the entire topic and you can score a maximum of 100 marks.
Schedule for Exam Preparations
- The first step is to prepare a friendly schedule and sort subjects according to your interests. Try and glance through various topics in a day, which can help in better concentration.
- Always begin your preparations by covering the official syllabus. As every subject is vast, you can expect any type of questions from anywhere at all.
- Initially, you can spend time, understand and avoid incorrect answers. Gradually, you need to improve your speed and accuracy.
- ‘Practice makes a man perfect’, so practice your calculations using a calculator, so that you can answer speedily.