Must say there is something extremely special about Gujarati food. Recently, had a work trip to Ahmedabad must say food is one thing which I relished the most is their soft homemade Khaman Dhokla. Have learnt this from Jinal Bhen, our cook and care taker. Here, is an authentic Khaman Dhokla recipe for you all.
- 1 Cup – Water and Channa Dal.
- 1tbsp. – Ginger – Green Chili Paste and Ghee.
- 1 tsp. – Eno, Oil for greasing and Lemon Juice.
- 1/8 tsp. – Turmeric Powder.
- 2 tbsp. – curd.
- ½ tsp. – mustard seeds, sugar.
- Handful of finely chopped coriander and green chilies.
- Pinch of salt and asafetida.
- Wash chana dal, soak it in water for six hours, drain the water and then grind it into a coarse paste.
- Add lemon juice, curd (ensure curd is little sour), salt, sugar, ginger paste mix these well into the chana dal batter, cover it with a lid and leave it for 5 hours to ferment.
- Later, take tray, grease it with oil, pour the batter into the tray and add little eno to the batter before putting it into the steamer.
Steam it for 10 mins.
- Remove the tray, sprinkle water and let it cool.
- Meanwhile, take a pan, add ghee, mustard seeds, let them splutter, and then add chilies heat for 2mins.
- Then pour this tempering on the dhokla, garnish with coriander and serve.
Note * Steam the dhokla on lower flame as well add eno salt prior steaming to each tray.