Maharashtrian recipes are tasty and I like it because it is a mixture of vegetables, cereals and dry snacks. The specialty of these delicacies is that it can be eaten for breakfast, lunch, dinner or as a snack. It is all-time stomach filler. Here is a simple recipe that I have got from a street chef after eating Misal Pav. I liked the blend of tangy, spicy and sweet flavors, so while eating I asked him about the recipe of Misal Pav and this is how it is:
Ingredients for misal pav
- 3 bowls of usal
- 2 lemons (cut into small pieces)
- 1 cup finely chopped onions
- 1 cup farsan
- ½ cup finely chopped coriander leaves
- Pav (6 Nos.)
Ingredients required for the preparation of usal
- 1 cup sprouted moth beans/matki (Soak matki/moth beans overnight till you see the sprouts)
- 1 onion chopped
- 1 tbsp. Ginger garlic paste
- 1tsp. Red chilli powder
- 1tsp. Turmeric powder
- 1tsp. Ghoda masala/garam masala
- 1 pinch Asafetida powder
- Salt as required
Ingredients for gravy for usal
- 1 finely chopped onion
- 1 tomato
- A small ball of tamarind
- 5-6 cloves of garlic finely chopped
- 1 small piece of ginger finely chopped
- 1tbsp. Chilli powder
- 1tbsp. coriander powder
- ½ tsp turmeric powder
- ½ tsp Cumin seeds
- ½ tsp. Fennel seeds
- 1 pinch of asafetida powder
- ½ tsp sugar
- 5tbsp oil
- Salt to taste
Method to prepare usal
- In a frying pan, heat a little oil, add ginger garlic paste, and chopped onions. Saute it for a little while.
- You can add the powders chilly, turmeric, asafetida, goda /garam masala and bled it along with the above ingredients.
- Add sprouted beans / matki add three cups of water, and cook for about 20-25 minutes.
- To prepare the gravy heat oil in a pan and add all the ingredients mentioned for gravy and mix it well. Pour tamarind pulp and bring it to a boil.
- Now add the cooked matki into the gravy.
Method to prepare misal
- Take a bowl of usal ( gravy)
- Top it with farsan, chopped onions, coriander leaves ( you can also add mashed potatoes)
- Squeeze a little of lime juice
- Serve it hot with Pav
I really wanted to try recipe of Misal Pav at home and I am happy that I can prepare this at home as I learned it in this visit.